The Mayo Clinic has topped this year’s league for the best hospital for gastroenterology services in the US.
In the rankings compiled by US News, the Rochester, Minnesota hospital led the field for gastroenterology and GI surgery, based on evaluations of patient outcomes (including survival rate and rate of discharge to home), patient experience, care-related factors such as the intensity of nurse staffing and the breadth of patient services, and expert opinion obtained through the peer physician survey.
The top 10 hospitals are:
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester
- Cedars Sinai Medical Center Los Angeles
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
- Cleveland Hospital, Ohio
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
- UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
- Mayo-Clinic Phoenix, Arizona
- UPMC Presbyterian Sunnyside, Pittsburgh
- Mount Sinai Hospital, New York
- New York Presbyterian Hospital, Columbia-Cornell
According to US News, the survey covered more than 4000 US hospitals and was not restricted to teaching hospitals or facilities associated with medical schools and universities. However the it cautioned that it was not possible to compare the results with previous years as it had changed the ranking methodology to include more patient-reported outcomes and also to reflect feedback from physicians.